IPO READINESS & PUBLIC COMPANY SUPPORT
Our IPO readiness and public company consulting team can help you prepare and navigate the process of going public.
We’ve helped a wide range of clients tactically through IPO readiness and filing processes, and we can apply our experience and expertise to support your company from preparation through filing.
Preparing for a public filing, whether through IPO or a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC), is no easy task. We can help.
Our IPO readiness consulting team can deploy across California or remotely – either as project managers or to supplement the efforts of your existing team. We offer services related to Readiness, Filing and Post-IPO Support. Whether you’re facing operational, finance and accounting or compliance-related changes, we can offer the additional bandwidth and perspective you need to go public.
Some of the things we do are:
- Assess team composition, and recommend and support approach to build out a post-IPO department ready to handle reporting requirements
- Establish an efficient close process to support regulatory requirements
- Develop quarterly reporting infrastructure and cadence
- Uplift financials/disclosures to be SEC compliant
- Support the implementation of accounting standards as well as the implementation of purpose-built software to facilitate ongoing management (e.g., ASC 606 or ASC 842)
- Implement reporting software for more efficient reporting
- Support SOX readiness, including documentation and testing of controls and assessment of potential deficiencies, risks and materiality as well as remediation support
- Implement needed policies and procedures to comply with mandated public-company operations
- Create multi-year financial models, tracking performance against KPIs
- Centralize and clean up the capitalization table
- Participate in the IPO process, including data aggregation, table and exhibit creation and review
- Prepare the financial section of Form S-1, S-3, S-4 with the SEC, including pro-forma financial statements and footnote disclosures and MD∓A
- Support responses to SEC Comment Letters regarding various iterations of the Form S-1, S-4 filing
- Develop cut-off procedures at quarter end, including impairment/depreciations and adjustments
- Liaise with all stakeholders to meet filing deadlines (e.g., Investment bank, law firms, printers, auditors)
And once you ring the bell, our team can step in to offer Post-IPO support.
- Project Manage the selection and implementation of Equity Accounting software, if needed
- Conduct technical accounting research and author accounting memos on key topics
- Implement and/or optimize SEC Reporting software (e.g., Workiva, Active Disclosure)
- Provide additional bandwidth for Quarterly and Annual Reporting and PCAOB audit preparation
- Project Manage the selection and implementation of ERP to support future-state Public Reporting environment
- Implement and offer best practices for documentation and support of SEC filings
- Support SOX compliance preparation as needed
Past IPO Readiness and Public Company Support Projects
SEC S-1 For Wellness and Fitness Studio Company
Prepared SEC S-1 for company operating wellness and fitness studios. Served as liaison with auditors, attorneys and bankers. Prepared accounting memos on a variety of subjects including goodwill and intangible asset impairment, cheap stock consideration, beneficial conversion feature, operating segments and revenue recognition.
Donnelley Active Disclosure Implementation
Implemented Donnelley Active Disclosure to create significant efficiencies in the 10Q and 10K filing process for newly public multi-location business.
Led Audit in Preparation for S-1 IPO
Led complex financial audit in preparation for S-1 IPO for entertainment payroll provider.
S-1 IPO Filing Support for Engineering Firm
Project managed the S-1 IPO filing of Engineering firm by tracking and ensuring executives complete their objectives within the established timeline. Additionally, selected and implemented Stock Transfer Agent services and assisted in the modification of the Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
Equity Administration System Selection and Implementation
Selected and implemented the equity administration platform Shareworks to assist newly public Company in calculating stock compensation expense and disclosures for ASC 718 Stock Compensation Expense.
Reverse Merger SPAC Support
Supported preparation and related SEC reporting of Company’s planned reverse merger into a publicly traded Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC), including acquisition of an independent Canadian entity as part of the transaction. Contributed to preparation of financial section of Form S-4 Registration filing with the SEC, including pro-forma financial statements and footnotes.
S-1 and Quarterly Reporting Process Support
Assisted with S-1 and quarterly reporting process for automotive pricing and information company including creating footnotes, S-1 disclosure research and assistance utilizing EDGAR and Accounting Research Manager. Created technical accounting memos related to stock valuation (ASC 718), business combinations (ASC 805), build to suit lease accounting (ASC 840), qualitative assessment of goodwill and intangible asset impairment (ASC 350 and 360) as well as SAB 99 evaluation of error and internal control deficiency memos.
Stock Compensation Program Migration
For newly public company, migrated stock compensation programs from Option Ease to Shareworks and from Shareworks to Morgan Stanley Sapphire and FAS systems, including fixing migration issues and errors and creating reconciliations of share and compensation expense calculation differences.
IFRS-Compliant Financial Restatements
Restated GAAP financial statements to IFRS-compliant financial statements in preparation for a Hong-Kong-exchange-listed IPO. Prepared financial statement footnotes for Form A-1 of Hong-Kong-listed IPO and for Form S-1 of New-York-listed IPO. Researched accounting issues including convertible preferred stock, stock-based compensation, executive severance and capitalized IPO costs.
IPO and Public Co. Insights
Get familiar with our unique perspective in the content below, or visit our Insights page for more.
The challenges and deficiencies that hindered the client’s initial plans were addressed, and significant improvements were made in areas such as cash accounts, transactions, minority interest accounting and intercompany transactions. Learn more in our downloadable case study.
It’s easy to see what can be improved when looking back with 20/20 hindsight, but hopefully the insights in this article can help you see things clearly well before they become costly, avoidable mistakes.
A company may have had a successful IPO, but will the transition to being a public company be equally successful? The answer will depend on many variables driven primarily by five internal focus areas that are typically overlooked.
Financial reporting and accounting firms are not a one-size-fits-all type of service provider. There are the Big Four, the Big Ten, mid-size firms, regional firms and small firms.
get in touch.
Our team of IPO Readiness and Public Company Support Consultants are ready to deploy where you need us. Contact us today to learn more about our team and our services. We’d be happy to help!
Join our mailing list.
Join our mailing list for exclusive content. No spam, just great insight.